Pergolas provide homeowners with many benefits and beauty. Not to be confused with an arbor which is an archway that is commonly found in gardens, parks and yards and oftentimes is accompanied by a small bench or seat, a pergola consists of framework made from vertical posts or pillars that typically support crossbeams and an open lattice ceiling.
This lattice often serves as a support to climbing plants. Pergolas are rather large, provide an open structure, a flat “roof” and more than likely are attached to homes and buildings rather than free standing like a traditional arbor may be.
Arbors and pergolas tend to get confused so it is important to research their differences prior to scheduling installation to ensure that you are receiving the finished product you desire.
While there are many, a few of the most common benefits of installing a pergola include:
- Pergolas are beautiful. – they spruce up your yard with stunning architecture and are sure to boost the curb appeal and value of your home.
- Pergolas lend plants a helping hand. – if you dream of having climbing plants with brightly colored blooms, or ivy walls, a pergola is the perfect way to help you achieve this aesthetic.
- Pergolas define spaces. – there is nothing like a pergola when it comes to appearance. Your pergola is sure to be the central focal point of your yard.
- Pergolas provide shade. – much like an awning or patio cover, pergolas provide a very visually appealing option for shade cover as well as slight protection from the elements.
- Pergolas are affordable. – contrary to common belief, pergolas are more affordable than one may think.
- Pergolas are durable – constructed out of heavy duty and weather resistant materials this ensures that your pergola is strong and will last for years to come.
- Pergolas are low maintenance – once your pergola is installed, the maintenance is very low. Aside from an occasional cleaning, there isn’t any required maintenance to keep your pergola looking it’s best.
If you love the outdoors and love to garden a pergola could be the perfect addition to your home. Whether you’ve had one planned for months or are just looking into the idea of a pergola, you are sure to enjoy their beaty and features.
With just the right amount of shade, potential for gardening and climbing plants, and their stunning beauty, pergolas will brighten any yard and create a more inviting atmosphere for you and your guests to enjoy.
If you are interested in discussing the potential of adding a pergola to your home, or have questions regarding the installation, materials, costs and more, please feel free to contact one of our experts at Nordic Home Solutions at any time.